Have you ever imagined making phone calls directly from your wrist, like a sci-fi movie coming to life?
Thanks to the arrival of smartwatches, it’s no longer a fantasy anymore.
The innovations in different types of wearable technology have taken a huge leap into the future. Smartwatches, specifically, have become more advanced than ever before.
But the question is — Can a smartwatch make phone calls?
You can make phone calls on a smartwatch as long as it is either connected to a Wi-Fi network or has built-in cellular or LTE/4G connectivity with an eSIM or SIM card slot.
If you’re planning to buy a smartwatch that allows making phone calls, make sure to buy one with long battery life and strong LTE/4G signal strength.
Can a Smartwatch Make Phone Calls without a Phone?
Most people believe that smartwatches cannot make phone calls without a phone. But that’s not true at all.
Smartwatches that come with SIM card slots and built-in cellular connectivity allow making phone calls without a phone. This is possible because the SIM card’s chip contains the required technology & capabilities that your smartwatch needs to connect to a network.
Apart from making phone calls, you can even make contactless payments, listen to music, and even text on a smartwatch.
In short, a smartwatch can perform most functions that a smartphone can. You just have to learn to identify which types of smartwatches allow making phone calls.
How to Tell If a Smartwatch can Make Phone Calls?
if you already have a smartwatch with built-in cellular or LTE/4G connectivity and a SIM card or eSIM slot, your smartwatch is capable of making phone calls.
Conversely, if you’re planning to buy a smartwatch and want to make sure it can make phone calls, you need to learn how to identify smartwatches that allow making phone calls. That’s because not all smartwatches have the ability to make phone calls.
Like I said earlier, if you want to make phone calls, you need to buy a smartwatch with a SIM card slot and built-in cellular or LTE/4G connectivity.
One way to check whether a particular smartwatch has cellular or LTE/4G connectivity is by reading the product information from the smartwatch’s manufacturer.
You can look up product information of any smartwatch online either through their official website or on Google.
How to Make Phone Calls on a Smartwatch? [3 Easy Methods]
Making a phone call from a smartwatch may seem like a distant dream or fantasy we used to see in old spy movies or TV shows, but it’s not.
Today, you can actually make phone calls from a smartwatch in real life.
Here are 3 different methods to make phone calls on a smartwatch.
Make a Call Using Voice Commands
Most smartwatches with built-in cellular connectivity allow making phone calls using voice commands.
Here are the steps you need to follow for making a phone call on your smartwatch using voice commands.
Wake up your smartwatch’s voice assistant by long-pressing the Home/Digital Crown button.
Now, use your voice to tell your smartwatch to “make a phone call”.
Specify whom you want to call by either telling your smartwatch’s voice assistant to dial a specific number or saying the person’s name if you’ve saved their contact.
Once you’re done, tap on “Hang Up” to end the call.
Make a Call from Contacts or Recent Calls List
Apart from using voice commands, smartwatches also allow making phone calls from your contacts list and recent calls list.
To make a phone call using this method, you need to perform the below steps.
First of all, open the app drawer on your smartwatch.
Locate the “Phone” app on your smartwatch and launch it by tapping on it.
Scroll down your “Contacts” to find the person you want to call from your smartwatch.
Alternatively, you can also browse through your recent calls list to find the person you want to call.
Once you’ve found the person you want to call, tap on the person’s contact or recent call from the list to place the phone call.
At the end of your phone call, tap on “Hang Up” to end it.
Make a Call using Dial Pad
Last but not least, smartwatches also allow placing a phone call using the dial pad just like a smartphone.
Here’s how you can make phone calls on a smartwatch using the dial pad.
Open the app drawer on your smartwatch.
Browse the apps until you find the “Phone” app and launch it.
Scroll the options using the Digital Crown button to access the dial pad.
Enter a phone number on the dial pad and tap on the “Call” button on your smartwatch’s screen.
Lastly, tap on the “Hang Up” button to end the call.
Benefits of Smartwatches with Built-in Cellular or 4G/LTE Connectivity
There are several benefits of buying a smartwatch with built-in cellular or 4G/LTE connectivity such as —
- Convenience — Using a smartwatch, you can make calls from your wrist without taking out your phone from your pocket or bag. This can be quite useful in situations where you may not have immediate access to your phone, such as when you’re out for a run or doing other activities.
- Independent connectivity — Since smartwatches come equipped with built-in cellular or 4G/LTE connectivity, you can make phone calls, send text messages, and even access the internet without having to carry your phone with you.
- Greater freedom — Thanks to a smartwatch’s independent connectivity, you can stay connected even when you’re away from your phone or without a Wi-Fi connection. This can provide greater freedom and flexibility in your daily life.
- Better safety — Smartwatches with built-in cellular or 4G/LTE connectivity can be extremely helpful in emergency situations. For example, some smartwatches come with built-in fall detection feature that automatically informs local authorities in case any accident occurs and you’re not able to move. In other cases, you can quickly make a call or send a message for help without needing to find and unlock your phone.
- Ditch your Smartphone — With a standalone smartwatch, you can stay connected and productive no matter where you are. In other words, you can truly ditch your smartwatch and still go on about your day without missing out on any important alerts or notifications.
Contrary to what naysayers say, a smartwatch is not just a fancy accessory for tracking fitness; it has become an all-in-one device that enables you to make phone calls among many other things.
However, the integration of phone call functionality on smartwatches has raised a few concerns, such as the potential for distraction while driving or the lack of privacy in public spaces.
But as with any technology, there are advantages and disadvantages of smartwatches, and the decision to use one is ultimately up to the individual.
In my opinion, I truly believe that smartwatches are an excellent tool that can enhance our lives significantly.
In the end, it is up to you to decide how to incorporate smartwatches into your life and use them responsibly to enhance your overall well-being.
So, if you’re serious about buying a smartwatch that allows making phone calls, weigh the benefits and the risks and make a decision that is best for you.