Is your smartwatch not turning on?
Wondering how to turn on smartwatch without power button?
You’re not alone.
Many smartwatch owners (including myself!) have faced this issue at some point.
But there is no need for you to panic just yet!
You can still turn your smartwatch on even if the power button is unresponsive.
You see, all smartwatch brands are aware of this issue as well. So, almost every smartwatch brand provides alternative ways to turn on the smartwatch without the power button.
In this post, I will walk you through 5 working methods you can implement to turn on your smartwatch even if the power button is broken.
How to Turn on Smartwatch without Power Button: 5 Quick Methods
if your smartwatch is not turning on using the power button, don’t worry. You can use any of the below methods to get it turned on again.
1 — Use the Magnetic Charger
Most smartwatches today charge wirelessly using magnetic inductive charging. There’s no actual plug that goes into the watch. It just sticks to the bottom of your smartwatch.
While you might already know this, what you might not know is that the magnetic connection doesn’t just charge the battery, it also “jumpstarts” the watch and powers it on.
Here’s how to turn on your smartwatch using the magnetic charger:
- Get the magnetic charging cable that came with your smartwatch. It connects to a USB port or wall adapter.
- Place the watch on the magnetic charger, aligning the charging pins on the back of the watch to the magnets on the pad. You’ll feel it snap into place.
- Keep the watch on the charger for at least one full minute. You should see power on the screen! If not, give it a few more minutes.
- This method works best if the watch still has some remaining battery charge. If completely dead it may need 15-30 minutes on the charger before turning on.
Related Post — How Long Does It Take to Charge a Smartwatch (The Truth)
2 — Use a Wireless Charging Pad
If your smartwatch supports wireless charging, you can power it on simply by placing it on a wireless charging pad. The inductive current will turn it on.
Here’s how to turn on your smartwatch using the wireless charging pad:
- Make sure you have a compatible wireless charging pad, like those made for smartphones.
- Place your watch in the center of the pad, face up. Double-check that it’s aligned properly.
- Leave it on the pad for at least 2-3 minutes. The watch display should light up showing power on screen.
3 — Use Tap/Gesture Controls
Some smartwatches have touchscreens that allow you to control the device just by tapping or swiping on the screen. This works even if the smartwatch is powered off.
For example, certain smartwatches made by companies like Apple or Samsung let you turn on the device from an off state by tapping firmly on the screen a few times. The watch is programmed to detect these tap patterns even when powered down and boot up the system when it feels the tapping.
Here’s how to turn on your smartwatch using the tap/gesture controls:
- Try firmly tapping the screen several times with your finger. On some watches, a few firm taps will power it on.
- If that doesn’t work, try swiping a pattern like a circle or letter shape on the screen. Some watches use gesture patterns to turn on.
- Keep tapping or swiping for at least one minute. You should see power on the screen! If not, keep trying tap or swipe patterns.
People Also Read — Can a Smartwatch Connect to Two Phones? (Short Answer!)
4 — Perform a Hard Rest
If your smartwatch doesn’t turn on through charging, you can force it on via a hard reset. A hard reset bypasses the normal startup process and allows the watch to boot up from scratch.
Here’s how to turn on your smartwatch by performing a hard reset:
- Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. Yes, even though it’s unresponsive!
- Press firmly and don’t give up too fast. It may take up to 20 seconds before you see signs of life.
- The act of continually pressing the button for an extended time forces the watch to reboot and power on.
- Be aware a hard reset will erase any settings, data, or paired connections. So back things up first!
- Consult your watch’s manual for exact reset instructions. Timing or number of button presses may vary by model.
5 — Get Professional Repair
If you’ve tried all troubleshooting methods with no luck, the issue likely requires professional repair. There may be an internal hardware problem with the power button or related components.
In this case, you need to take your smartwatch to an authorized service center or repair shop. They can diagnose the specific problem and identify any parts needing replacement.
With the proper repairs, your watch can return to powering on with a click of the side button again!
A smartwatch with an unresponsive power button isn’t doomed. As you have just learned, there are various methods to turn on your smartwatch even if the power button is broken or not working.
The easiest way is to place your smartwatch on its magnetic charger. The power from the charger can turn on the watch after a few minutes.
You can also try tapping firmly on the touchscreen several times or swiping gesture patterns. Many smartwatches will recognize these taps and swipes and boot up.
So don’t panic if your smartwatch’s power button stops working. With a little patience, you can revive your smartwatch without needing the power button at all.